Friday, July 25, 2008

Return Of The Exchange

Well. He's back.

I picked up The Exchange at the airport today. He looked tired, he had a long flight. He's the same height as The Boy, so The Boy must've shot up this past year. He wears his hair longish, just like The Boy. He looks more boyish than ever, still beautiful, still charming. He was happy to see The Boy. I was happy to see him. But I wondered what the fuss was about last year.

It felt like we picked up where we left off. For one thing, he's more at ease with us. He came down for a shower as soon as we came home. The front door was still open. He was in his underwear. I laughed, because that's what The Boy does. After, still in his underwear, he held up his soiled clothes and said, "Where I put this, in the garbage?" He's more of a kidder, more fluent in English.

The boys got ready to go to a small birthday party. I said, "It's after midnight for you. Are you not tired?" He said "It's okay. I had four coffees today. I never miss a party."

After he changed, he whizzed by me in a red T-shirt and jeans. I thought it was The Boy, then I saw The Boy in the next room. I stood them side by side. They both had on red T's and pants. It was difficult to tell them apart from the back. I gave them dinner and went outside to visit with the neighbours in the street. When they were ready to leave, they had both changed. The Boy in a blue T, The Exchange in white. I don't know why they changed and I didn't ask.

The Boy seems pleased to have The Exchange here. The Exchange is operating on second wind. I invited a neighbour to drive with me. We dropped the boys off at the birthday party. We saw through the window of the birthday girl's house that all the guests inside were girls. When I looked back at them entering the house, I said to my neighbour, "Yup, they're two good looking young men out to impress the girls."

No comments: