Friday, February 29, 2008

The Leap

It's Leap Day. Some customs allow a woman to make a proposal of marriage to a man on this day and he must accept. If he declines, then he must buy the woman a gown or 12 pairs of gloves.

I wonder what it feels like to know your role as husband can be replaced by a dress or some gloves. No no, stop it, I'm not a man hater. In fact, my doctor tells me my testosterone level is on the high side so I am kind of man-like myself. The gift to a rejected woman is a consolation. But still, if I were a man, I would wonder how strong the woman's attachment to me is, if all it takes is a dress to console her for the absence of my company in her life.

I won't make a marriage proposal today. I'll wait four years to see if The Man is still working out then decide. The minute he slips though, Bam - the next Leap Year, I will either have a new husband or a new dress. So in lieu of a marriage proposal, I am making a leap of faith today.

I believe we will all be fine. The Man and I will enter our twilight years truly golden. The Boy will grow up to be a thoughtful, generous, upstanding, creative, and successful man. We will share many good times with our families and friends. These things will happen because we show up and put in the effort to make them happen.

No comments: