Monday, September 17, 2007

Politics Of My Own

The provincial election has started. In every election, I get recruited to help the NDP candidate in our ward. They must have my phone number in their book somewhere. You help out in one campaign and they pass your phone number to other NDP candidates for every election. I don't really mind. Though I have not always voted NDP, their stands and views are most closely aligned with mine.

In municipal elections, the candidate's party does not formally enter the race so it matters more how I feel about the candidate. In provincial and federal elections however, I do try to weigh the candidate and party politics.

When called to help out in this provincial election, I said yes even though I don't know the candidate and have never heard of him. I was a lazy ass that day. And I don't care for the incumbent, whose only "work" I have seen are chocolate bars slipped into the mail slot of households that put up Christmas lights. He has the poorest attendance record of all MPPs in legislature. Newspaper articles surface once in a while attaching him to a seedy house in Cuba where men and young boys come and go. He claims to have been in Cuba to learn Portuguese, one of the primary languages in our ward. Portuguese in Cuba? Apparently, that's where his teachers lives. I want him replaced.

I canvassed with the NDP candidate and attended his campaign launch party. He seems an affable and articulate man. I came home to do a bit more research on him. It was then that I discovered information on the other candidates in our ward for this election. One of them is the leader of the Green Party.

I vote Green often. The Man was director of communication for them a few years ago. I want to see the Green Party be a viable alternative in Canada because I believe a green, sustainable economy is better for our mental and physical health. So now I have given time to a party that I may not be voting for.

Or should I vote NDP because I have given them time and I like the candidate?

Come to think of it, does it not always come down to Green or NDP for me? Except that time I voted Liberal because I didn't want Harper in, and that other time I voted Liberal because I admired the woman candidate.

I am a political slut.

No comments: