Thursday, March 08, 2007

A Confederacy Of Rescuers

A while back, Sis drove her car into mom's drive where the snow was deep and got it stuck. I made fun of her - silly woman, trying to park a small car in thigh high snow.

Today, I parked my car in mom's drive also, but I was careful not to wedge myself in the deeper part of the snow so as not to get stuck. I left the back of the car jutting out onto the sidewalk. I was sure I would have no trouble backing out when it was time to leave.

Came time to leave. Well I'll be damned if instead of putting the car in reverse to back out, I didn't put the car in drive and rammed it deep into the snow. I got out and shovelled around and under the car. It became clear the problem was the snow was just too deep. The tires were just spinning.

I stood back to size up the situation. Mom called out across the street to an elderly neighbour walking by. He came to help. I asked him to back the car out while I pushed. Another man who was also passing by came running up to help. He said he was an expert at this sort of thing even though he looked like an alcoholic street person. But he was lucid and sober even as he smelled a bit of alcohol. Then mom's basement tenant came home and saw us trying to push the car so he came to help. It's now a community project.

Street Person did his thing, putting salt behind the front tires. Elderly Neighbour got behind the wheels. Basement Tenant, Street Person and I then pushed the car. Several attempts later, the car back into the street as I flopped on my belly in the snow like a fish. Elderly Neighbour waved goodbye and went home. Street Person asked for spare change. I was so grateful I gave him $5. He seemed surprised to get so much. Maybe he was only expecting coin change. I told him he could make this his business, rescuing cars from being stuck in the snow. He said he used to be a mechanic.

Basement Tenant then shovelled the drive. I helped him a bit but he made me stop. I didn't resist too much as I really had to get home. Mom stood there trying to make him stop shovelling because she said for the occasional times someone parks there, it's not worth shovelling. Tenant said he'd just clear the drive a bit so no one gets stuck next time.

Funny thing, getting stuck in the snow. It was a feel good experience.

1 comment:

Sparky said...

I always keep a pair of metal traction treads in the car for this very purpose. They're about $20 at Canadian Tire. Just place them under the driving wheels and drive slowly over them. Never, ever been stuck in the snow for the past 20 years. Have used them many time over the years to help various motorist stuck in the snow like you were.