Monday, June 09, 2008

Tripping Out

So far, my plans for July include a weekend getaway with my book club and a wilderness camping trip with my vegetarian friends. The plans for August include a family car-camping trip, a trip to Montreal, another wilderness camping trip, and a trip to France. For October, there will be a trip to Orlando.

All this planning makes me restless and anxious, especially that trip to France. I don't think we can afford to go. But we're getting an apartment free and The Man's flight will be covered by his employer as R&R.

I want to take mom to Orlando because I had wanted to do that with mom and dad. I've missed the chance with dad. Now I want to take mom. In fact, mom is coming car-camping and to Montreal with us. Sis had asked why I'm taking mom all over the place. Now that I've thought about it, I think it's to honour her while I can, even if she objects, and she does.

She objects to leaving her house. She doesn't want to miss putting out the garbage. She thinks the house will fall apart if she's not there. I think these concerns are age related. I suspect mom is a little depressed. Her doctor says she's deficient in vitamin D. I want her out in the sun a bit more.

Still, I understand the desire to stay put. Maybe it's the weather. We're in our first heat wave of the season and right now, it's raining hard out. There's even a tornado warning for Toronto tonight. My head and my body are on different courses. My head is planning the trips, my body doesn't want to go anywhere.  

I started a pottery class recently. This is a different kind of trip altogether. I get high making plates, planters and a birdbath for my garden. I just want to stay home and work on my garden, dig up the front yard, put in new plants. Now this is the kind of trip I'm talking about.

No comments: