Wednesday, September 14, 2005

The First Time

The first time I didn't have to go to school when September came was in 1982. I had dropped out of university and started a full-time job. It felt odd, being neither nor.

That summer, we had students in the office. By the end of August, they had all left, getting ready to start a new school year in their respective universities. I stayed in the office to assume what was my adult life, without school. I felt relieved I was spared the tedious grind of school, an area I had never done well in. But I didn't quite fit as a new working adult either. I eventually got used to working. But for many years, whenever September came, I looked to start something new.

All these years later, now with my own teenage son, I still look at September as a time of restart. Funny that. That the restart should be in the Fall rather than the Spring.

This year, I was hoping to start a new job. And yes, I was thinking I would go back to school! I did start a new job, for two weeks. It didn't work out. It was the first time in my life where I have been in an abusive environment. People talk about it, I could never quite relate. But now, I have first-hand experience. I don't want to talk about this experience right now, but it is forever etched in my life as The Horror.

But the return to school! My goodness, there are many exciting programs at the graduate level I can take, in different formats. My current interest is the University of Athabasca, where I can do a Master of Arts – Integrated Studies online. Once I do the two core courses, I can go into a stream of my choice. That is, I can take cluster courses in Adult Education (where I have a keen interest); Community Studies; Cultural Studies; Distance Educational Studies; Work, Organization and Leadership; Global Change; or Information Studies. I would be interested in any of these streams.

And what does one do with an MA in such areas? Who knows. For me, the MA is a vanity degree. I just want one. I am willing to earn it.

This is a graduate program, so the cost is high. About $12,000 for the program. So I need to nail that job to fund this. What's first about this? It's the first time I have ever wanted to go to school and feel I will enjoy the learning! What's with that?

No comments: