Sunday, July 17, 2005

HP Sauced

We pre-ordered Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince back in February. The Boy was keen to get it. The bookstore's promise was that by pre-ordering, we'd be the first to get the book and we'd get it at 40% off.

Closer to the book release date, I learned that many book sellers were hosting launch parties the night of July 15. All these pre-teens and adults were showing up at the parties in costumes. They even held contests for the best outfit. Yes, it's a good marketing ploy, yes, it gets pre-teens excited about reading. Except the book seller we ordered from was selling the book at 40% off on launch night, and you could pick up the book at 12:01 AM July 16, if you attended the party.

So why did we pre-order? We were not the first to get the book, we did not save extra money. True, I would not have gone to the launch party. And we did get the book on July 16 at 40% off. Still, I feel ripped off for some reason.

Note to self: Do not fall for book selling ploys again. (But I will. Because I don't have to go out at midnight, I still get the book on the day they say, at the discount they offered, plus a "magic card" that entitles the holder to a discount of $5 to $100 off the next purchase of $50 or more in books. Yea, yea, another marketing ploy.)

Second note to self: Good god, am I a competitive and petty consumer? (Yes I am.)

No comments: