Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Too many shoes, not enough feet

I bought a new pair of shoes last week. That makes over 20 pairs that I have in my closet, having discarded about ten pairs two months ago. But I really only wear four pairs regularly. Why do I keep buying shoes that I don't wear? Let me tell you something about my logic.

I buy shoes that look cute or have a nice colour that I imagine I would wear to create a certain look. But that look often requires new pants or skirt and a new top. By the time I get the shoes home, I've moved beyond that look I had in mind in the shoe store. So I don't buy the top or bottom to go with the shoes. So the shoes sit in my closet, unworn.

Or I buy shoes that are similar in look and feel because I just like that look and feel. These are usually low-heeled, comfortable walking shoes. I have many pairs of these, but I can only wear one pair at a time.

Or I buy shoes that are on sale. They have to be real cheap. So here's my dilemma today.

I came a cross a pair of lavender flats yesterday. They were kind of cute. I've seen the brand name version of these, which costs over $80 and were comfortable to wear. These particular ones cost $9! $9? I was excited. Lavender/purple happens to be my three-year-old niece's favourite colour right now. I had this bright idea in the store that I would create matching purple outfits for us. I could spend $9 to start the look. I'd then try to get her similar shoes, get us matching t-shirt, and skirt. Except these $9 shoes are very uncomfortable. They are so uncomfortable that when I got them home, I won't even wear them to break them in. Now, do I abandon my matching outfit idea, or go ahead anyway, because it'd be so cute?

No comments: